I'm choosing to wake up and be happy today -- I am of the thinking that if you wish something enough, perhaps it will come true.
Surprisingly, I had a really great weekend. I generally have very sad weekends when Joel has the boys -- either that or I drink myself silly. I made a valiant attempt at staying sober and not sad. I was 50% successful. I house hunted this weekend. You know, I was dreading it -- but it actually turned out sort of fun. There is a newness coming my direction -- a new house, even a rental, can just add to the freshness that is on my horizon. I *think* I have maybe found the place -- sending in my application today. Then there was Father's Day. *sigh* I miss my father. I miss Joel. I miss them -- I went to the store and bought both of them cards. I even hand delivered it to Joel. That was a step in the right direction. I am going to choose to honor him and respect him when the situation arises -- so with a gulp in my throat and tears in my eyes, I handed him a card thanking him for our children, acknowledged that he is a great dad and I walked away. Then, I drove to the cemetery...where I paid tribute to the greatest dad there ever was....
Today, I woke up and decided to read a chapter...it was on loneliness. Divorce is so lonely. It's just like someone waves a wand over your life and everyone changes. You change. It was an interesting read. The main point is to accept loneliness. People generally do one of two things -- they retreat inside their loneliness, thus creating even more loneliness...or they become uber busy in an attempt to not feel the loneliness. I suppose I have done both. That, and the fact that I jumped right into a relationship again.... there is some statistic out there that like 90% of relationships started within one year (ONE YEAR) of a divorce are doomed. That's depressing. Anyway, it's hard to embrace being alone. I am not sure that I ever want to. It's an interesting thought though. It's not that I don't enjoy my alone time -- it's more so that I just like to think that someone is thinking of me.
1. I am taking time for myself rather than keeping too busy.
Satisfactory -- busy is overrated
2. I am not working such long hours that I have no time for myself.
I work long hours -- but only 3 days a week -- I have plenty of time by myself.
3. I am not hiding from loneliness by being with people that I don't enjoy being with.
Satisfactory -- well unless you count Justin -- but I really do enjoy being with him -- although he does make it easy to avoid loneliness.... maybe I need improvement....
4. I have begun to fill up my time with activities important to me.
Needs improvement
5. I have stopped hiding and withdrawing into my home
Needs improvement
6. I have stopped trying to find another love relationship just to avoid being lonely
Unsatisfactory
7. I am content doing activities by myself
Satisfactory
8. I have stopped running from loneliness
Needs improvement
9. I am not letting the feelings of loneliness control my behavior.
Needs improvement
10. I am comfortable being alone and having aloneness time.
Needs improvement
The clouds have lifted and the sun is brightly shining. My head is clearing as well, and my eyes are beginning to see the beauty of the light. Promise. Hope. Happiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
((hugs)) Kristen. I hope you don't mind I'll just keep sending them. :)
I just have so many memories of the same sorts of feelings... People who say divorce is too easy have clearly never been through one. I think divorce has this awful side effect of making us withdraw, perhaps hide from ourselves for a while but eventually we do begin again. I emerged so much stronger after my first marriage failed. I remember as I stepped out into dating after some time alone that each guy got nicer, better and more "right" for me as my expectations grew and my self-respect emerged. That's when DH and I were able to start our relationship. Believe me in a year or two you won't even recognize the woman you were "before".
Hugs, hon. Just lots of those for you. You're getting there, you really are!
Jules
Post a Comment