
You never give up on someone you can't go a day without thinking about. If you get in a fight with that someone, your always trying to fix things with them because you hate it when they are mad at you. You probably hurt people's feelings but end up feeling horrible for it and so you try to make up with them as soon as possible. You have a good heart.
According to a quiz on facebook, this is my life quote. I must admit it struck me today.
My brother is back in the hospital. To avoid all sidestepping -- he's a full blown raging alcoholic. And, I'm pissed. I know that sounds harsh -- but my family has been dealing with his addiction for the better part of 20 years. As of late, it is just out of control. He moved back to Arizona in September and has been in and out of the hospital and detox centers ~10 times since. We get him back for a couple days -- maybe a week or two and then he falls again. It breaks my heart time and time again. Usually I am right there for him - and for Cliff. And, I admit that I have had drinks with him before, but this time -- seeing what he has done to his body -- and to my family -- I just can't do it anymore. I love him more than anything in the world. We are very close. He is sick. This is a disease.
Yet.........I can't get myself to care. I don't know what to do about that. Right now he is in ICU completely out of it because the withdrawl is so terrible. He isn't himself. He is restrained and saying terribly ugly things. His body is completely revolting against the lack of alcohol. I should feel terrible about this. But, all I want to do is video him. If he ONLY KNEW, if he could SEE how terrible it was, I believe he would be mortified...but that's just the thing...he won't remember any of this....
So, when I got my quote I thought about it. And, in some ways I think that you have GOT to give up. I feel that way about my brother right now. This is completely out of my hands. I have GOT to give up and consider THAT a victory. I will think about him daily - mulitiple times. I will not ever stop loving my brother and praying for him to get treatment (a treatment that will stick). But, I can't do this anymore. My family can't either. I've done everything I possibly could for him. I give up.

No comments:
Post a Comment