The clouds have lifted and the sun is brightly shining. My head is clearing as well, and my eyes are beginning to see the beauty of the light. Promise. Hope. Happiness.

Monday, June 01, 2009

I've received many emails after my last blog asking simply, "So you believe in late term abortions?" I needed to respond before I head out the door

Unfortunately -- that is the question everyone asks. I do not think that should be the main focus or question asked in the wake of his death. I believe that Dr. Tiller was a strong American citizen with a family and friends that loved him dearly. I believe that he made a reputable reputation in his practice for other things in addition to providing women with a safe "late term abortion". I also believe that he did nothing but worked hard in a profession doing something that was deemed (and voted!) legal in our country and he died ultimately paying the price of doing just that.

But your questions to me of "do I believe in late term abortions?" It's hard to say black and white simply because I believe that every situation is extremely different and to blanket it with a "yes" or a "no" is too pigeon holed. No, I don't think women in general should have late term abortions for flippant reasons but I also know that late term abortions are legal in 2009 and that they will continue with or without the safety and precautions that legality provide.

I also know many women who have been placed in very difficult situations and learn that their fetus is not ever going to be capable of life -- some of these women choose to not continue the pregnancy. Maybe it's the verbiage -- "not continue this pregnancy" that seems so much more peaceful, loving and, well, frankly, accepted. But these families have been faced with an extremely difficult decision. They deserve a decision.

And folks, abortions *ARE NOT GOING TO STOP* by killing the Doctor that provides them. So, in my opinion, unless you've been there -- and there is NO WAY ANY OF US CAN BE IN EVERY SITUATION -- there is no way you can take away this liberty (and remember most states, if not all, have very strict restrictions on who, what, when, where, why and how this such termination can be completed.)

In conclusion, I simply believe that this man worked hard at upholding a woman's liberties and to be shot down (in his place of worship, no less) is absolutely inexcusable and disgusting to me. Period.

3 comments:

Jules said...

Kristen, as you know, I have been faced with such a choice when my son was diagnosed with Trisomy 18, and I want to share it here so people understand from a person who has been there.

As I point out to people, you don't know anybody with T18, because no one survives it. T21, on the other hand, is known as Down Syndrome and at least has a chance of survival into adulthood, but even that Trisomy has multiple health problems.

I think most people who are anti-Choice forget that we ALL have a visceral response to the word "abortion". NO ONE I know wants one, but sometimes some of us need one.

In my case, I had to make a choice because my son had such profound problems, including a completely open spine from Spina Bifida, a 3-chambered heart (which meant instant death upon birth). I would have let it continue, however the research I did and in talking with the doctor showed that the longer my pregnancy with Jacob was allowed to go, the more likely our son would suffer pain as his brain would develop pain receptors.

As agonizing and counter to our intuition to protect our child, my husband and I decided to end the pregnancy in order to protect him from the blinding pain of life, however brief.

We love Jacob still. We respect and honor those in the medical community who supported us in our decision, and didn't try to push us one way or another. What we did was agonizingly painful for us, and yet we know that we can stand before God and tell him we did what we thought was best for all involved, including our beloved boy.

Ultimately, those who can read this and understand that ending a pregnancy is agonizing, but in some cases necessary, will understand that yes, sometimes even late term pregnancies need to end, and a woman's right to that is essential both emotionally and physically.

I am so sorry about Dr. Tiller as well. But if it makes people talk about it and realize how important this right is, perhaps it won't be all for nothing.

Jules

Kristen said...

Oh jules..I am so sorry that this may have made additional pain in your life.

I LOVE your insight...always have..and will always.

I had NO CLUE until Cole was in my arms that he was heatlthy. They were convinced that he had chromosomal issues...we refused all tests...but initially...

Oh, Jules, you probably knew...my mind went ever direction....and Joel and I decided if the results weren't compatible with life, we would end the pregnancy.

I would hope that my family would LOVE and FORGIVE me for the choice we made if the stakes were stacked against us....the emails since these posts may prove otherwise....
I don't know.

I Love you...and I miss Jacob's life so much...I love him....I Long for his life...

In the kindest regard....thank you for commenting

...and how DARE they.................

Jules said...

I only hope if my story gets out there to those who need to hear it, that it is worth it.

Life is so much more complicated than the black and white world that some in the world would like to present to us to make it so simple. Unfortunately, some of us learn that the world instead comes in sometimes agonizing shades of gray.

Much love to you, and please don't worry about me when it comes to Jacob. There is no more acute pain anymore, just the dull ache of a loss of a promise that will always be with us. And only love and understanding for those who walk in our shoes, and help those go through it.

Jules