Well, that's not entirely true (rule one of counseling -- lose the generalizations).... My day started out great -- I woke up after a deep and pleasant sleep. I did a little more studying for my math test today -- and headed into class. I even managed to make enough time to grab the recorder and RECORD lecture (I am going to pass this damn class...LOL)...
Math test...well...I thought I did well. And then everyone converges outside the door and talks about their answers. I HATE THAT....cause it has me second guessing everything... and now I just don't know HOW I did. That still wasn't enough to bother me much -- cause, quite frankly, I don't know how I did yet and there's no going back (rule two of counseling -- there's no going back). Lecture was boring -- but whatever, I feel good learning and being productive in class. We even got out early. I had time to stop and get the pictures printed for the frame I bought -- so I was feeling great.
Then I got home.... and got the mail. BILLS...so many late bills. Then I checked my account -- ugh...and Justin's account...ugh...and then I looked at the calendar of what bills must be paid and FUCK -- my day is gone. POOF like that....(rule 3 in counseling - react -- but don't overreact). So, I sat there and tried to work out a plan that would make sense in our money situation. It's depressing...and I hate it. So I'm on edge -- but putting together my new picture frame makes me happy...so I sit down to study and read. I'm bored. My mind is wandering.
Then I hear "you've got mail!" so I go and check it. It's Dane's team mom with an email about certification day this Sat (7:30-9:30am) and that there is a club after for $30 that would be great for the boys. Joel wants him to go. I IM Joel and say, "look it's 30 bucks -- I don't have it...so if you want him to go, you'll have to pay" which turns into an HOUR....really an HOUR IM (rule 4 - no email, IM or texting discussions that last longer than one or two replies -- really she said that.)discussion that went from touchy, to rude, to sad, to mean, to eventually me groveling and trying to get him to see that I do NOT mean to take him for granted. In the end, I didn't prove any point -- and I ended up in a ball of tears. This was at 2:30 -- I haven't stopped crying yet.
I'm not sure what the deal is with all the tears. They just keep on coming. I'm sure it's stress -- about school and money. (rule 5 - don't take out your stress on something completely unrelated -- what's that called misplaced anger -- I didn't kick the dog....well...she did shit on the floor when I went to pick up the boys...and I picked her up so fast she yelped....maybe I am angry). When I got the boys -- there were just so many comments about money -- and about "Jen said that you have to pay for school pictures" and all sorts of stuff...that have kept me in tears. I'm hiding it well though (rule 6 - don't let the boys feel your struggle, but don't make them think that it's not okay to be sad, either.) So I just sat down with them -- Dane and his scrambled eggs and Cole with his Ramen noodles and talked about their day. Now, they are getting ready for football -- I'm writing -- and then it's flying out the door for another undoubtedly ridiculous football practice (rule 7 - don't anticipate sadness, anger, frustration....breathe and wait for the moment to come....or not.) Then, I will be dropping my children off at their dad's house...(actually my house, as he has yet to refinance)...because I have to be at work bright eyed and bushy tailed tomorrow at 6am. (rule -what number am I on - appreciate what you have -- someone always has it worse....I am going to a job that I truly love -- that's impressive)....anyway....I'm coming home tonight and having a beer (don't get me started on the rules about alcohol being a depressant.)
So, as I posted on my facebook: Kristen....thinks that "killing them with kindness" may never produce the results that I am longing for. In the meantime, it is just chipping away at my core and leaving me with a pain and sadness so deep within that it seems untouchable. Who am I ...trying to kill anyway? My inner bitch is bubbling...
...(rule number whichever came after the last from counseling -- think of the consequences...for the life of me I can't tell which is more productive.)
The clouds have lifted and the sun is brightly shining. My head is clearing as well, and my eyes are beginning to see the beauty of the light. Promise. Hope. Happiness.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
You saved me $$$$ with all of those counseling rules!...thanks...
Keep your head up, enjoy your beer and sleep well :)
Post a Comment