Everything I Own
This song reminds me of my dad. I made a CD after he died and this is on it. I love that man, if you haven't figured that out by now...and I'm not just saying that cause "time heals all wounds"...I'm saying it because it is true. He was an honorable, hard working, loving man and every fiber in his heart belonged to us...thank GOD for blessing me with his life for my 32 years of life.
You sheltered me from harm
Kept me warm, kept me warm
You gave my life to me
Set me free, set me free
The finest years I ever knew
Were all the years I had with you
And...
(Chorus:)
I would give anything I own
Give up my life, my heart, my home
I would give ev'rything I own
Just to have you back again
You taught me how to love
What it's of, what it's of
You never said too much
But still you showed the way
And I knew from watching you
College was so fun. I swear -- I lived so fully at that time. Robin, Tracey, Rentch -- man, I thought those girls were locks in my life. And the love of my life, Joel -- hockey and 6th street pub.... LOL... Megan, G, Dre, Sydney, Owen...a family of sorts...all going thru the same things....a true treasure..and how naive we were!
Make It With You
Dreams are for those that sleep
Life is for us to keep
2nd year we moved into Arizona Commons -- Rentch, Katy, Shannon and I...and by proxy, Robin. Fun times. Our Jenga games -- kiss the one to the right, pick up a rock...silly. Joel and I were in full bloom by Sophomore year -- I basically lived at his place with Who'dhedo? (hootiedo) and Jefe... We had so much fun on Mount Lemmon....and learning about each other -- and time management.
Life can be short or long
Love can be right or wrong
That summer, Joel moved back to Wisconsin and Robin and I lived together. Trudy. Hot Damn 100. Tracey. Mitch. Hutch. Hands. Summer School. Spanish. O'Malleys. sigh.
Diary
This song always killed me -- was probably the first time I really fell in love with Bread -- I was in California with Robin and Rentch...and we played this CD over and over and over....
When she confronted with the writing there, simply pretended not to care. I passed it off as just in keeping with her total disconcerting air and though she tried to hide the love that she denied
hm.... this song means something entirely different to me now
IF
This was one of Joel and my songs...was going to be the song we danced to for our wedding. My wedding was awesome -- Robin, Rentch, Tracey and my sisters standing by my side as I married a man I truly loved.
If a man could be two places at one time
I'd be with you.
Tomorrow and today
Beside you all the way
Those words are still true in some ways....heartache. How sad to think of where we are today...and even more sad to see the man that he has become.
Look What You've Done
You have taken the heart of me
And left just a part of me
I use to wonder what true love lost would feel like -- I get it now. And I get why it's so hard to NOT be jaded when the next thing comes along. I guess you just learn to enjoy the day -- and not take it for granted. I guess that's a hard lesson learned...but one that I treasure.
The Last Time
This is the last time that I will say goodbye
You said it doesn't mean a thing
Let's see what the future brings
This reminds me of leaving U of A -- Joel and I were in this 36 foot Uhaul with a crashed up Neon trailing it -- and we were flooring it at 45 when there goes Robin FLYING BY in her new infinity -- honking, dancing, laughing and waving as she veers left towards California -- and we were off to Wisconsin. Sigh. Such an emotion...a goodbye of sorts, but such a new beginning.
Well our conversation ended -- it's almost midnight -- and I should goto bed...that was a fun trip down memory lane though.
Thanks Robin -- for the conversation tonight -- and especially for always being one of my very best friends. xoxoxo...wishing you the best...just hope it all FITTS. :-)
(pun intended!)

No comments:
Post a Comment